Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Cassava Porridge

 
After looking in multiple different stores, I finally found it. At the Westside Market yesterday, my mom and I came upon a Latin American produce stand. The vendor had cassava, or the root of the yucca plant. It’s poisonous when eaten raw, so I’m a little afraid of tomorrow’s recipe. The method for cooking it seems a little sketchy. We’ll wait and see. If I don’t post anything tomorrow, you’ll know what happened.

The recipe I found for the cassava was cassava porridge from Angola. There was WAY too much water called for in the recipe. If you attempt it, I suggest halving the amount of water at the very least. I think a fifth of what I used would work best.
Angola is a country in southern Africa with a history of Portuguese imperialism. The people of Angola are mostly Christian, surprisingly. I was also surprised to find that they have Portuguese names. (One of the governmental leader’s name is Jose.)






RECIPE

4 c. water*

1 c. cassava



Boil 2 cups of water. Wash, peel, and cube cassava. Blend one cup of the cassava with 2 cups of water. Stir into boiling water, and simmer on low heat for 20 minutes. Stir to prevent sticking.

*Use WAY less water.



All I have to say is yucca. L


No comments:

Post a Comment