Friday, June 29, 2012

Pogacsa

With a decresing population and low fertility rate, Hungary is shrinking. It's 210th on the CIA list of population growth. I wonder what the government is doing about this.

I'm kind of sad that Hungary is shrinking in population. Throughout history they have been the inventors of a lot of different things including coaches (the horse and buggy type), electric motors, the first artificial vitamin, ballpoint pens, and the Rubik's Cube. I mean, where would we be without that colorful square of confusion?

Hungarians are also the inventors of a delicious savory scone called pogacsa. I am not exagerating when I say delicious. I could eat these things all day.

Pogacsa is a common dish in Hungary. There have been festivals dedicated to it, and it is a common food mentioned in Hungarian fables.

RECIPE (serves 2-3)

1 cup flour
2 oz milk, warm
2 Tbsp sour cream
 1/8 tsp baking soda
2 Tbsp butter
1/2 cup swiss cheese
1 egg
1 tsp yeast

Add the yeast to the warm milk and let it sit for 5 minutes. Whisk the egg in a separate bowl. Combine all the ingredients into the bowl of yeast. Stir until just mixed. Let the mixture sit for 2 hrs.
Preheat the oven to 400. Make the dough into circles and crisscross the tops with a fork. Bake for 10- 15 minutes. Enjoy as you attempt to solve your Rubik's Cube.

Does anyone know why blogger flips pictures? It's driving me crazy.
I'm coloring the countries I've 'traveled' to in as I go.

No comments:

Post a Comment