Thursday, June 28, 2012

Pap

Pap is a dish served in many African countries, but I am using it for Botswana. The people of Botswana, called the Batswana, eat pap as a breakfast dish or accomaniment to other dishes. They typically eat it with their fingers and dip it into stews, but I stuck with a spoon.

The Batswana may not consider their lack of silverware as rude, but they do think that looking other people in the eyes is very disrespectful. So is smelling food while it's cooking. I can understand why you wouldn't want to smell the food after reading up on a popular dish. The dish is called mopani worm. It is what it sounds like. They cook the mopani worm (It's actually a caterpillar.) in hot ash, boil it, or dry it out in the sun. It may sound gross to us, but the people of Botswana love it. Maybe if you can get past the thought of eating a caterpillar, it tastes good. I don't think I could do it, though.

I chose pap for this morning's breakfast because I'm not adventurous enough to go hunt down a caterpillar and eat it. Anyway, our grocery store doesn't sell cassava. I doubt they have mopani worms.

RECIPE

1/2 cup cornmeal
2 cups vegetable/ beef/ chicken stock

Bring the stock to a boil. Whisk in the cornmeal. Cook on low for 20 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment