Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Gâteau au Yaourt

Only 175 miles across at its farthest points, Belgium is only a little bigger than Maryland. This doesn't mean that they are lacking in their breakfast making skills, though. The yogurt cake I made for breakfast was pretty good, and I don't even like cake.

Cake for breakfast? Yep. Tomorrow is my birthday. And it wasn't sweet at all. (You may want to add extra honey/ sugar if you like sweet things. I don't, so I put in less.) Anyway, here's some interesting info on Belgium:

Belgium is made up of two main ethnic groups, the Flemings and the Walloons. The Flemmings live in the north. They speak a form of Dutch called Flemmish. The French speaking Walloons live in the south. The people of Belgium are hardworking, fun loving people. They are smart and love politics. Well, that's what the research book I read said about them. It sounds to me like a stereotype. What do I know? There may not be one lazy person in Belgium.

I'm assuming the Gâteau au Yaourt I made for breakfast is eaten by the Walloons since it sounds French. Maybe I could now move to Belgium and become a Walloon. Isn't that fun to say? :)


RECIPE (makes one small cake 5in in diameter)*
6 tbsp yogurt
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp honey
1 egg
1/8 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/8 tsp salt
2/3 cup flour
2/3 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 cup raisins

(I halved the recipe, so mine didn't take up the whole baking dish.)

Heat the oven to 350F. Whisk the egg in a bowl, and add in the other ingredients. Stir it all until it's well blended. Cook until the tester comes out clean. Top with fruit.

No comments:

Post a Comment