Saturday, June 23, 2012

Empanadas de Queso

Bolivia is a country that I have wanted to visit ever since I started sponsoring a Bolivian little girl through Compassion International. If you don't know what Compassion is, it's a organization that provides basic needs for impoverished children and shares the gospel to them. Each child is given one sponsor. They write letters to one another and can even visit each other. Maybe one day I'll be able to visit Alison in Bolivia and taste a real Bolivian breakfast. For now I'll have to deal with my rendition of Bolivia's cuisine.
I found a recipe for these yummy Bolivian empanadas. They are stuffed with a hard cheese called queso fresco. I used Parmesan because the Internet said that was a good substitute. Maybe you'll be able to find queso fresco at your grocery store.

RECIPE:

dough: 1 1/2 cup flour
1 tbsp butter
1.5 tsp baking powder
3 egg yolks
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking soda
3/4 cup milk

filling: 1.5 egg whites
1 cup hard white cheese

Sift the flour, baking powder, salt,  and baking soda. Add butter and milk. Make a whole in the center and add the egg yolk. Knead. Add a little milk if necessary. Roll into a ball, and flatten it into an oval with a rolling pin.

Grate the cheese and beat the egg white until foamy in two separate bowls. Add most of the egg white to the cheese. Fill each oval with 2 tbsp of the cheese mixture. Fold half of the dough over. Press a fork around the edges. Brush with the rest of the egg white. Bake at 350 for 20 minutes.



I made api blanco to drink along with it. Both the api blanco and empanadas were very good. Hopefully one day I will get to experience them first hand. Here's a website with the drinks.

No comments:

Post a Comment