Sunday, June 17, 2012

Chapati and Ugali

Today I made a traditional Ugandan breakfast. Chapatis are small, unleavened bread popular in the horn of Africa and some Asian countries. Ugali is an African porridge. I think it tastes like grits. (I'm from Georgia. We like grits.) These two dishes are often served together. I liked it, but thought that the chapati dough was a little watery. I'm not sure if it's supposed to be like that or not. The recipes made enough for 2-4 people, but I ate it all. Yeah, I must have liked it.

CHAPATI
2/3 cup flour
2/3 TBS olive oil
2/3 (or less) cups water
1 tsp garlic powder
onion (optional)

Knead all the ingredients. Let it sit for 30 min. (I made the Ugali while I waited.)
Make the dough into four balls, and roll them out into 6in rounds. Press onto a medium heated pan.




UGALI
1/2 cup white cornmeal
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup water (I added an additional 1/4 cup when it got too thick.)

Boil the water. Mix the milk and cornmeal together in a separate bowl. Pour this into the water. Stir. Turn the heat down to low, and cook for 15 minutes. Stir occasionally.

Enjoy! Maybe tomorrow I will try something a bit more adventurous.

No comments:

Post a Comment