Monday, June 25, 2012

Byrek me gjize

Albania is a small southeastern European country. It was communist up until 1992 when it became a parliamentary republic. Although it's an itty bitty country, it has a rich culture. Dance, folklore, and traditional dress showcase these unique people. For my Albanian meal, I made byrek me gjize. It's a phyllo dough pie thingy. I made homemade phyllo dough AND homemade cheese. Then I topped it off with homegrown parsley from the garden.



RECIPE: (serves 2)

filling:
1 egg
1/2 cup cottage or farmer's cheese
1 tbsp chopped parsley

dough:
3/4 cup flour
1/8  tsp white vinegar
1/8 tsp oil
squirt of lemon juice
3 tbsp hot water


Mix all the ingredients for the dough up, and knead it. Separate it into four balls. Run it through the pasta machine, making it as thin as possible.
Mix the filling. Put half of the phyllo sheets on a lightly floured pan. Spread the filling on top. Add the rest of the phyllo dough. Bake at 350 for 40 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment