Friday, June 22, 2012

Bao

Today's recipe was Bao, or Chinese steamed dumplings. They're dated back to the 3rd century. I really enjoyed them, although the recipe I had called for too much sugar. The veggies made them kind of strange for breakfast, but I think they were still good.
I talked so much about them that Syd asked me to make her some for dinner. I stuffed hers with mushrooms. Mine had broccoli, onions, mushrooms, and carrots. I also tried deep frying a couple of hers. She really liked it.:)

RECIPE:
pinch of sugar
1.5 cups white flour
1/3 cup warm water
1 tsp vegetable oil
1/2 tsp sesame oil
1 tsp yeast
1 tsp salt

1 cup of whatever veggies, meat, or fungi that you wish. Chop them, add some soy sauce to them, stir fry them, and let them sit until cool.

Combine yest, sugar, and water. Let it sit for 5 minutes. Knead in the flour and oil. Let the dough sit for an hour. Divide the dough into balls, flatten them out, put filling in the center, and pinch closed. Let the dumplings sit 10 minutes. Steam for 10 minutes.
We have a vast array of Chinese teas from the Chinese people that visit my dad for work, and from my dad when he goes to China. My mom is still searching for this wonderful tea that she tried in China. She has not found it yet. We have found many gross Chinese teas, though.

 I chose the jasmine tea. It was a bad decision. Next time I'll stick with the American green tea. It looked cool, though. AND I got to use the super cool tea seeping thing. It was worth it.

So, although the tea was bad, and the bao was a little sweet, my Chinese breakfast was really nice. (A lot better than the lemon porridge. I will never forget that stuff or quit bringing it back up. Ugh.) I wish the food in China was actually decent.
My family and I traveled to China in 2008 to bring home Harper. (She's Chinese in case you can't tell.) While we were there we were not fed anything near as good as what I had for breakfast today.

 This is more like what they served. Seriously. There was deep fried, head on baby quail on the breakfast buffet in the very westernized hotel.
 These were just sitting out for sale at the market. Yummy.
 Of course, Sumo had no problem with the food. She was all over anything edible. Her favorite was congee. I'll have to try that on a more adventurous day. Maybe after the lemon porridge fades from my memory.
I made a Chinese cut out card to go with the theme.

No comments:

Post a Comment