Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Appa

If you're a fan of normal food, things that turn out the way they're supposed to, and things that don't make your whole house smell... weird, do not attempt to make appa. I tried, failed, and got stuck eating five servings of partially cooked Sri Lankan appas. Maybe I just had a bad recipe, but this was almost nearly as bad as the lemon porridge. Almost. That stuff is still #1 on my Never Eat Again list.

Okay, okay, it wasn't that bad. I'm just frustrated because I couldn't get it to turn out.
This is what my hopper looked like.
This is what they're supposed to look like.


My egg hopper. What went wrong? I have no idea. (It tasted just about as good as it looks.) I've probably just insulted all the chefs in Sri Lanka.

RECIPE (let's see if you can make it any better)

4 tbsp warm water
1/3 tsp yeast
1/2 c. ground rice
1/2 cup white or rice flour
pinch of salt
3 oz coconut milk
2/3 cup water

Dissolve yeast, and let it sit for 10 minutes. Put the ground rice, flour, and salt into a bowl. Combine it with coconut milk, yeast water, and the other 2/3 cup of water.
Let it sit one hour.
It should be almost transparent. Heat a pan over low heat. Spray oil onto the pan. Pour a ladle of batter into the pan, and swirl it around to cover the bottom. Cover with a lid, and let it cook on low for 5 minutes. Remove.

Egg Appa: Crack an egg over the batter after you've swirled it around in the pan. Cook 5 minutes with the lid on.

Have fun with this recipe. I should've had toast and eggs like Harper.

No comments:

Post a Comment